Search This Blog

Thursday 8 November 2012

Rodney Dearing muses about reviews...


I’ve been thinking about book reviews lately.

Having just published my latest illustrated children’s book, ‘Brilliant Mr Badger’, I’ve been waiting for a particular review to emerge which could have a significant influence on what I do next. It’s sometimes difficult to persuade someone to read one’s work and comment on it, let alone buy it, read it and review it.

Then, after the review the re-appraisal of what to do next. Write another book in the same genre? Drop writing altogether? Try one’s hand at another genre?

And what use are they anyway, these reviews? Traditional wisdom has it that they’re an essential marketing tool but who buys books on the strength of a review?

Quite a number of people, apparently. At least, that’s what publishers and retailers would have us believe. So, a poor review and it's all downhill from there. Particularly if the reviewer is a well know personage. Double misery!  

So I opened the latest newsletter of the Scottish Badgers (circulation about 2000!) with some trepidation, guessing that it might contain a few words about, ‘Brilliant Mr Badger.’
 
It did and fine words they were too. I could have hugged and kissed the reviewer. She had caught the theme of the book exactly and had been generous in her praise.  

Insightful people these Scots! Och aye.

Make mine a double whisky while I start work on my next Mr Badger book!

 

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Rodney. A good review is balm to the soul. I had a marvellous review of my book "The Lives of Alice Pothron" (see it on www.amazon.com). Of course I had to promise the reviewer my first-born but it's there for others to see and, hopefully, it will encourage them to buy, buy, buy.
    There has been talk in writing circles of Amazon deleting reviews by other authors. Has anyone had this experience?

    ReplyDelete