Search This Blog

Friday 25 May 2012

Jenny Harrison on after-book blues


Okay, so here’s my secret. I’m stagnating. For a writer to admit that is like a nightclub hostess admitting she’s got herpes. At the moment my writing group nom de plume “Hellfire” Harrison is more like “Embers” Harrison.

Let me tell you how I got to be “hellfire” Harrison. I’ve been writing since 1997 but in 2009 I met a very nice American lady who asked me to write the story of her parents who had been trapped in war-torn France in 1940. Those of you old enough don’t need a reminder. For those of you who don’t know anything about it, Germany invaded France in 1940. France was defeated in six weeks and suffered five horrendous years of oppression, hunger and fear.

I’ve spent nearly three years researching and writing. It’s been three fabulous, exciting years – finding out not only what happened but how ordinary people managed to live through the “dark years” in Europe.  I’ve had a wonderful, fulfilling time writing about two people who were caught up in the “worst of times”.

Now the book is finished and I’ve come to earth with a bump. Any ideas on where to go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment