Search This Blog

Friday 2 October 2015

A poem by Pam Laird


The Mud-Coloured Beret

 

He stands beside

A pyramid of apples

Close by

The market door.

 

‘Are these apples

fresh?’ he asks.

‘They are, I bought six

Only yesterday.’

 

‘Are you South African?’

‘No, I am a Kiwi.’

‘From the South Island?’

‘Yes.’

 

He is tall,

More than six feet,

His skin is clear

And olive.

 

‘Are you going

To buy

A bag of apples?’

I ask.

 

‘You speak,

So nicely,’ he says.

But his presence

Is not quite present.

  

I wonder,

‘Is he lost

Or sad, or drugged,

Or is he ill?’

 

He wears a

Beret, mud-coloured

Pulled low over

His ears.

 

There is no smile,

A guiless naivety

Searches

My face.

 

‘Is there something

I can do?’

‘No, no,

No, no.’

 

‘I must buy

The apples now, I

Thank you, that

You stopped to talk to me.’

Pam Laird

No comments:

Post a Comment